Monday, February 22, 2010

Intro. to Creative Writing

I had to write 3 poems for my creative writing class. The first came on a whim, the other two were forced. Tell me if they're any good.
-------------------------------------

“Mom”

She has footprints on her back.
She tries to hide them- always washing her sweaters, sometimes turning them inside-out.
But I see them. I see the lines on her face, the ones that shouldn’t be there- not yet at least.
Her blue and red eyes leak “weary” and “down-trodden” down her cheeks, catching in her mouth-corners.
She tries to be tough, but inside she’s just as tough as those cashmere sweaters; the ones that are faded in places from too much washing.

But she can’t quit. Her suffering feeds my education; my future is hungry.
Perhaps I’ll buy her a new sweater.
-2/4/10

“Train”

I hear the train a comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend,
And I ain't seen the sunshine,
Since, I don't know when.

“Folsom Prison Blues” Johnny Cash

I know this train is coming to a stop.
Everyone is so concerned with fuel and momentum,
They never want this ride to end.
But I’m okay with it.

Eventually the train will run out of coal,
And it might come to a quick, peaceful stop,
Or an agonizing crash.
Or it could collide with another train.

But I’m not too concerned.
In fact, I’ve contemplated making the train stop sooner than scheduled,
Taking control and ending it all early.
And people will tell me I’m sick, that I should get some help.

But if the train is stopping, why wait for the end?
-2/22/10

“Vice”

I picked up the bottle again last week.
It would have been nearly a year in March.
Her sleek curves tempted me, glossy and sleek,
And on the rim, my lip-gloss left its mark.

I picked up the bottle again, I’m weak.
Her laugh was cruel as I took my first gulp.
I fell off the wagon, felt like a freak.
Her forbidden fruit had a bitter pulp.

The bottle slipped from my hand, my head spun.
My sweet ecstasy was marred by my shame.
The bottle grinned in triumph, she had won,
The sweat dried up on her green-tinted pane.

The skin on my stomach is mangled and numb.
“Days Since I Used” has now gone back to one.
-2/22/10

42 comments:

Margaret said...

Nice :)
sweet blog
thanks for the follow!
stop back soon xx

Paulina Galicka said...

nice blog ;)
lets follow my www.pozerki.blogspot.com

Fashion Cappuccino said...

Beautiful poems!! My favorite is "Vice"! xoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

i'm in creative writing too! for fiction though :) getting my mfa! yay fellow writers

Coralie said...

Love it


If you like french fashion, you should check out my blog, and maybe follow it if you like it and wanna be the first to know when I post ;)




xx




www.coralieslooks.com - FRENCH FASHION BLOG

*Trisha* said...

Wow. I really like "Mom", like a LOT! :)

Prose and poetry can be so much fun, both reading and writing it. Thanks for sharing yours ))

The Chic Sheet said...

Thanks for joining The Chic Sheet! I look forward to seeing what other writings you have in store :)

XX,
Miranda

http://www.thechicsheet.net/

Jacquelyn said...

Great poems, I'm taking creative writing this year as well :)


XOXO
styleworthwhile.blogspot.com

goodbadnfab said...

I love this post! It's charming, witting and oh-so fabulous!

I attended New York Fashion Week and would love for you to read my coverage!

goodbadnfab.blogspot.com
an Asian fashion lawyer living and playing in LA, giving you the insider's scoop on life in the fab lane!

Anastasia said...

i like the one about your mum
x

Plami said...

I really want to take such a class as well... only if we had them in Bulgaria! Your poems are beautiful!

XoXo
Plami

http://www.fashionthrill.com/

skippysays said...

Very nice! I especially like the first one :)
www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

Natalie said...

The poem about your mother is so touching! Definitely makes me appreciate my own mommy more :)

xx Natalie
http://lavagabonddame.blogspot.com/

Plami said...

Great post! Thanks!

XoXo
Plami

http://www.fashionthrill.com/

grace said...

thanks for following my blog! :)

grace
blog.graceniu.net

grace said...

thanks so much for your kind words! making the jewelry is definitely fun, and a much cheaper alternative to buying all those pieces :)

grace
blog.graceniu.net

Célèste Fohl said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

THE DIVINITUS said...

talented girl.

Alicia said...

beautiful, love reading every single one :)

Mundo de Alicia ❤

fashion-meets-art said...

Hello, can I invite you to my giveaway?

You can win Chanel polish and a golden Asos steel necklace.

lovely greets
maren anita
<3


Please have a look at my Holiday GIVEAWAY:

CHANEL POLISH and ASOS NECKLACE

Yvonne - Frl. Klein said...

Wonderful!
Hugs
Yvonne

Sarah said...

Beautiful poems. Difficult to write poetry...

X, SArah

Sassi said...

love these!
X

*DonnaRomina said...

Nice blog, Follow me<3

allie said...

Your first poem is amazing =)

Anonymous said...

oh this looks great!
fantastic post babe! I really enjoyed reading it and looking through your blog! you have amazing taste and a brilliant blog, keep up the good work!
would you be able to check out mine? would be an honour!
It's fashion damnit
There's the link!
thanksss!
lottie
xxxx <3

Fashionable Memories said...

Beautiful poems!!!!! You are very talented!!! I'm so glad to have found your blog! I really enjoy reading your blog posts. If you have a chance, please visit/follow my fashion blog. Your supports will mean the world to me! Thank you so much in advance! Please have a great day:)

Fashion to Go said...

Hello dear! Thank you so much for following my blog! Have a great day :)

Jacquelyn said...

Beautiful poems! I took a creative writing last term, loved it.


XO J
www.style-worthwhile.com

two birds said...

beautiful! i love your mom one!

two birds said...

beautiful! i love your mom one!

Bubble My Licorice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AVY said...

They are. I could never write under that kind of pressure.

/ Avy
http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com



Unknown said...

Lovely poems! :)

daydream frenzy

Lan said...

wow! you blog is very interesting and good! *-*
i read the other post, too and its very good! <3

love
beauthi.blogspot.com

andrea m. said...

lovely poems! you're way better at writing than i am, thats for sure! :)

andrea brionne @thedailyeverythings.blogspot.com

Eatlovemerry said...

All these are beautiful!

Emily Meyers said...

Hello and thank you so much for following my blog! I really appreciate it. I wish I could folow your blog back because I really love your poetry! You have amazing talent. I know this maybe funny but I wanted to have you check out my husbands poetry blog and see what you think of his work. He's always looking for feedback as I know you probably are as well. Here's a link to his blog:
http://meyerspoetry.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much! and I can't wait to have him read some of your stuff, its great!
take care

Unknown said...

No words. You are SO talented... The poems are beautiful!!!

www.fashionaddict09.blogspot.be

Anonymous said...

I love Johnny Cash!

Thanks for the follow xoxo

Manda said...

Good stuff! :)

I always enjoyed Creative Writing Class. Fun!
Eat Cake

Unknown said...

See bottom of this post, you won our giveaway! :)

http://maiedae.blogspot.com/2012/08/favorite-summertime-snapshot.html

Thanks for entering!